Friday, April 5, 2013

How to make $$$$ in your PJs


The major factor, if not the only factor, for getting a college degree is to have a job.  Information technology may change the way you look at potential careers.  I am talking about “virtual jobs.”  Never heard of it?  Well you are not alone.  Just imagine clocking in to work while in your pajamas at home.  The ubiquitous nature of the internet companies will not need a physical office.  Virtual worlds like Second Life are the obvious starting point for these virtual jobs.  There are online businesses that accommodate people that play in a virtual world.  Players can buy anything for their avatar in these worlds such as virtual cars and weapons.  The virtual money in these worlds can actually be turned into real money.  Virtual worlds are not just fun and games; some universities use it to train their students.  “Medical schools such as the University of Kansas Medical Center use Second Life to simulate medical procedures.”  Dentists and can use this training technology for their profession as well.  Any position available in the real world is available in a virtual world as well. 
Virtual Law firms are another way that information technology is changing how people work.  Virtual Law Partners is a firm that only exists online.  They eliminate a big cost of having a physical office. 
ITBusiness is a website that helps companies to build virtual offices. 
“Their suggestions include: 1) hiring a virtual receptionist and using Skype for outbound long-distance calls, as well as for conference calls; 2) using on-line software, such as Google Docs and Zoho software, for word processing, spreadsheets, and other functions that can be stored and shared online; 3) using a robotic personal assistant, such as Highrise to organize your address book and to create a caseload for each of your projects; 4) outsourcing your calendar, such as Google Calendar, which allows users to see, suggest, and comment on others scheduled activities; 5) holding virtual meetings, such as on the site GoToMeeting and freeconference.com.”
There are pros and cons with everything; having a virtual office and virtual employees is no different.  Technology is constantly changing and improving, employees must do the same.  In order for a job seeker to be employable they must emeries themselves with information technology.  The future job seekers need to have the finger on the electrical pulse of this industry.  Employment and the American Economy depend on information technology.

REFERENCE
http://www.globalization101.org/virtual-jobs/
James Todd

9 comments:

  1. I am familiar with the term "Virtual Office" I am fortunate enough to work for a company that allows me to work from home once a week, as well as when I get such so I don't have to come into the office and spread germs. It is all done on a laptop and phone. Each employee has a phone and web conference line to use for meetings where people are all over the country and the world. I personally like it because it cuts some of my cost of travel and parking. It is a win-win for employees and employers. Most of the managers work from home offices. The down side is that you don't get the personnel interaction with people like you do in the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is cool that you have that option. I think that more companies are going to go in that direction. This could have a big impact on American unemployment and economy. If people are not efficient with information technology then they will be over looked for jobs. This also allows companies more opportunity to outsource.
      JAMES TODD

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember recently that Yahoo decided to cancel the program they had where people worked from home, mostly because of productivity. I would imagine productivity suffered a lot and the managers had to bring the employees back. I would be so mad if they did that at my job. I would imagine the type of work that is sent home has to do a lot weather it will work or not. Some things can't be done at home. Maybe business can do half at home half at the physical location. Either way, let's hope business can figure out how to productively have their employees work at home. I would imagine workers comp and other expenses would reduce too. Interesting read!

    -Priscilla S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think about how insurance policies could change. If I could work at home I would take advantage. Productivity should increase at home unless you have added distractions. I have a 8 month old and if he had to stay home while I was working!!!! I wouldn't get anything done.
      JAMES TODD

      Delete
  4. Funnily enough this reminds me of the Chinese gold farms. Where individuals would play games for the express purpose of selling items, specifically currency, in the real world.

    Basic article on Gold Farming:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_farming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was interesting. I never heard of Gold farms. Bitcoins has been in the news lately, but I still don't know how it works. It is a whole new economy.
      JAMES TODD

      Delete
  5. James - Great post. I've heard about Second Life, only through our MIS class, but I wasn't familiar with all the opportunities it provided. I like the fact that Medical students have this as a tool to simulate procedures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I know this stuff is getting crazy. I can only imagine what things are going to be like in 20-30 years!!
      James Todd

      Delete